This is a breakthrough book on student engagement by Dennis Shirley and Andy Hargreaves. With Five Paths of Student Engagement, you will embark on a profound educational quest. This journey will take you through exciting and challenging terrain that leads directly to your students’ learning and success.
This is a book that will open your eyes, heart and mind. By integrating psychological and sociological perspectives, and using inspiring examples from 7 years of research, this book goes deeply into the what, why, and how of student engagement. It reveals who and what the true enemies of student engagement are, and it shows you how to defeat them. It will enrich and reward your work for years to come.
This is a book with an original and engrossing argument that you won’t be able to put down. Written by two award winning authors, it shows you that:
- Engagement is the new frontier of student achievement.
- Engagement means so much more than beating back boredom.
- Psychological and sociological theories cast new light on engagement and motivation.
- Engagement is about mystery and magic, meaning and purpose, and focus and mastery.
- Increasing student engagement requires much more than surveys, rubrics and observation protocols.
- We must battle all five enemies of engagement in our schools, systems and societies if we are to engage students totally.
- There are five clear paths of engagement that lead to student learning and success that all teachers and schools can embark upon immediately.